Probate and administration of estates

The administration of estates can be a daunting process with executors having a considerable number of responsibilities.

We can now support our clients, their families and contacts through bereavement and deal with the process of obtaining probate as Usher Spiby & Co became one of the first accountancy practices in the UK to be licensed by the ICAEW to carry out non –contentious probate work

We offer a competitively priced probate and estate administration services. You can choose to pass the entire process to us or we can help in those areas you need most support. In summary the full service will include.

  • Dealing with grant of probate
  • Valuation of assets
  • Completion of HMRC returns
  • Agreeing inheritance tax liability with the HMRC
  • Payments of liabilities
  • Distribution of the estate in accordance with the will.
  • Preparing final estate accounts

For more information about our probate services please contact us

What is Probate?

Probate' is a legal term generally used when talking about applying for the right to deal with a deceased

Person's affairs (called 'administering the estate'). Different terms are used in practice, depending on whether or not the deceased person left a will.

We can guide you through the whole process and provide you with all of the advice and support you will need.

Further background guidance can be found on the government’s website

If the estate is under £5000, do I have to apply for Probate?

No, if an estate is less than typically £5000 then there is no legal requirement to apply for probate. All you will need are copies of the death certificate.

If a person dies without a will, how could the intestacy rules could affect you & your family

If a person dies without leaving a will or the will that is left is invalid, they are said to have died “intestate”.

For deaths on or after 1 October 2014, if an individual is survived by a spouse or civil partner but no children or remoter issue, the entire estate will  go to the surviving spouse or civil partner. What happens to the deceased person’s estate depends on who that individual is survived by.

If the deceased individual is survived by spouse/civil partner and children or remoter issue, the surviving spouse or civil partner will receive the first £250,000 and half of the excess over £250,000. The children will receive the other half of the excess equally between them.

Other rules determine who will inherit if there is no surviving spouse or children, it is therefore important to take professional advice.

For further background information Click here

What to do when someone dies

There are 3 things you must do in the first few days after someone dies.

1. Get a medical certificate from a GP or hospital doctor. You’ll need this to register the death.

2. Register the death within 5 days (8 days in Scotland). You’ll then get the documents you need for the funeral.

3. Arrange the funeral - you can use a funeral director or arrange it yourself.

For further information Click here

How much does our full probate service cost

Our fees are based on time involved, not based on the value of the estate, which means we offer a competitively priced probate and estate administration service

Licensed by the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales to carry out the reserved legal service of non-contentious probate in England and Wales

Related Guides

Making a Will



Usher Spiby & Co is licensed by the Institute of Charterted Accountants in England and Wales to carry out the reserved legal service of non-contentious probate in England and Wales. Details of our probate accreditation can be viewed at under reference C001386116